The magnificent Spy Rock was one of the first hikes I did before becoming a “serious” hiker and I nearly died (not really – not even close to dying, but I did come to the realization I was severely out of shape).
- Definitely thought the trail was way shorter than it was.
- Trying to get to the top before sunset added an extra level of rushing + being out of shape = couldn’t breathe 80% of the hike.
- Felt weird basically walking through somebody’s backyard at the start (But apparently the way we got to the trailhead is now closed…)
- 90% of it was uphill on a boring fire road (at least, in my memory it is. I haven’t been back since I hiked this in 2017).
- I’d never rock scrambled before. Ever. And I was not wearing shoes with good traction.
Anywho, it was super pretty at the top and it was exciting hustling back in the semi-dark.
Worth it for the views.