Overcoming Post Anime Depression Syndrome
Also known as PADS.
Have you ever watched an anime (Hunter x Hunter) that was so, darn good every other anime simply paled in comparison? All your joy for
life anime = g o n e faster than you can say bungee gum has the properties of both rubber and gum gone. There’s this deep, loathsome feeling of angst where you find yourself randomly yelling out, “[m]eaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Everything is meaningless!”, between bouts of uncontrollable woe.
Maybe you even tried getting into other anime like Tokyo Ghoul, Demon Slayer, Boku Hero AcaWhatever, and it just didn’t live up to the greatness of The Anime.
Congrats! You’ve got Post Anime Depression Syndrome. Symptoms often include:
- feelings of emptiness
- unexplainable sadness
- randomly humming the theme song of your fav anime
- dressing up in cosplay in your bedroom alone at one thirty-three am
- writing fanfiction related to your fav anime
- staring blankly into space
- other things
However, all is not lost. Here are some ways you can overcome Post Anime Depression Syndrome (PADS) and learn to #MakeAnimeFunAgain.
Hunter x Hunter The Anime
Often I binge through something so quickly, I end up overlooking the duller parts. A re-watch (pending The Anime isn’t One Piece level long) allows you to focus less on the thrill of what’s going to happen next and more on the story itself, meaning you’re more likely to see flaws you may not have noticed before, which could take The Anime down a few pegs.
Realizing that even The Anime isn’t as great as you initially thought it was can help you move on to
yellow greener pastures.
Didn’t work for me, but it’s worth a shot.
2. Accept the reality there will never be an anime as good as
Hunter x Hunter- The Anime
“Reality is often disappointing,” (Thanos, 2018).
Nevertheless, denying it doesn’t make reality any less real.
Acknowledging and accepting nothing will ever be as good as The Anime can help you move forward.
3. Stop comparing every anime to
Hunter x Hunter The Anime
“Comparison is the thief of joy,”
(Thanos, 2018). (Iron Man, probably.)
Life is sort of like a self-fulfilling prophesy – what you seek, you’ll find. Except sometimes what you’re looking for can’t be found, thus comparing every anime to The Anime is like shooting yourself in the foot. Don’t go into a new anime hoping it’ll be like The Anime; instead, try to enjoy it for what it is.
4. Do something non-anime related
- Watch a regular show like The Witcher or… Sweet Home.
- Spend some time outdoors contemplating your mortality. Nothing like realizing you could die at any moment doing literally anything to take your mind off anime in general.
- Read articles about plane crashes. Nothing like thinking about the deaths of others to get your mind off anime.
- Do something that could kill you – like jump out of a plane, go bungee jumping, take up mountain biking, start a brawl at a local fraternity, play Russian roulette with the gals/bros, etc. because what’s life without the mild threat of death? Boring, that’s what.
- Get something yummy to eat. Eat it. Nothing like a good meal to
fatten you up for the slaughtertake your mind off anime.
Can’t think about anime if you’re dead.
6. Spend some time socializing
Get coffee with a friend, go for a nice hike with your family, take a baking class with the gals/bros.
7. Take up some new hobbies
I enjoy hiking, baking, walking, writing, reading, and gaming. I’m sure there are other hobbies but obviously mine are the best.
8. Read your Bible
Nothing like some good, old- fashioned Jesus time to take your mind off anime.
Hopefully, one (or none) of these tips will help you overcome PADS and learn to love anime again.